The EOA and the Lithuanian Olympic Academy have officially announced the topic of the EOA Seminar Klaipeda, which is called “Opportunities and limits of the Olympic Movement for international understanding and peace in the context of current time”.
The seminar thus addresses a prevalent subject with regard to the Russian war in Ukraine. “Recent times have brought up the question of what sport world can do to encourage peace. However, as we see its possibilities and potential, we also have to keep in mind the challenges we face in international sport politics”, commented EOA President Manfred Laemmer.
National Olympic Academies of seven countries from North-East Europe and the Olympic Academy of Ukraine have confirmed their on-site attendance in the Baltic sea town to explore the topic in detail and to discuss its formulation into educational projects. This regional setting will provide an informal way of learning more about how the other Academies are run.
As the seminar is organised as a hybrid event, all EOA members and other interested parties are welcome to join online to the lecture session and the panel discussion on August 25, 2022. Please register here for online participation.
Prof. Dr. Asta Sarkauskiene, President of the Lithuanian Olympic Academy, said, “We are very happy to host the first EOA Seminar here at the Klaipeda University. We look forward to welcoming the many well-recognised international speakers and just as much the delegates of the National Olympic Academies to Klaipeda.”
- Prof. Dr. Mariia Bulatova, President of the Ukrainian Olympic Academy, Vice-President of the National Olympic Committee of Ukraine
- Dr. Jim Parry, Visiting Professor at Charles University in Prague
- Dr. Ansgar Molzberger, Researcher at German Sports University Cologne
- Dr. Dionyssis Gangas, Member of the IOC Culture and Olympic Heritage Commission and Consultant to the International Olympic Academy
- Daina Gudzineviciute, President of the Lithuanian National Olympic Committee and Vice-President of the European Olympic Committees
About the EOA Seminars
The European Olympic Academies launched a new event series called “EOA Seminars”. In this series of regional workshops, experts and NOA delegates explore current issues in the Olympic Movement and means to apply them to the practice of the National Olympic Academies. At the same time, this setting provides a forum for academies from neighbouring countries to meet and share their knowledge and expertise.
The first edition will be hosted by the Lithuanian Olympic Academy at Klaipeda University on 24-26 August 2022 and will geographically cover the north-east of Europe.